Eternal Life

2 January 2024

When I am about to depart from this life, I support myself with this consolation that I believe in God's Son. And yet I am buried; I am eaten by worms; I am consumed by the most foul rottenness, as Job says (Job 17:14): "I said to the rottenness, ‘You are my father,' and to the worms, ‘My mother,' or ‘My sister.' " Here I do not discern God's plan, that although I die and rot away, I must at some time be revived. But God has promised and said (cf. John 14:19): "You will live, for I live, and you will live. I am the Lord your God!" How? In eternal life and with a more beautiful and brighter body than the body of the sun. At present I do not see or feel this, but I believe it and suffer this very short delay. For this life has already been prepared, and in the meantime the crown of the kingdom and glory is being prepared "which the Lord will give me on that Day, the righteous Judge," as Paul says (2 Tim. 4:8), "and not only to me, but also to those who love His coming."

        Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment