23 September 2021 Access to God

St. Paul states in Rom. 5:2: 'We have obtained access to God in faith'—not through ourselves but 'through Christ.' Therefore we must bring Christ, come with Him, pay God with Him, and carry out all our dealings with God through Him and with Him. This is what St. Peter means here. He wants to say: We are looking forward with certainty to life, even though we are still on earth. But we owe all this to Christ’s resurrection from the dead, to His ascension into heaven, and to the fact that He sits at the right hand of God. For He ascended into heaven to bestow His Spirit on us, to give us a new birth, and to give us the courage to come to the Father and say: 'Behold, I come before you and pray, not in reliance on my petition, but my Lord Christ represents me and is my Intercessor.' These are all words of fire where there is a heart that believes. Otherwise everything is cold and does not go to the heart.

         Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment